Sunday 12 February 2012

book making

This weekend I made a little Blurb book from some of the images created during my residency at the Maclaurin Galleries, Ayr, last December. It was a good week, I rediscovered my interest in simple digital photography; it's such a versatile medium, allowing all manner of perspectives to surface just by a click of the mouse. I veered away from it some years ago, finding its seduction irritating. I know that sounds contradictory, but as an artist, I like to touch what I'm creating, I like to encounter serendipity, surprises, mistakes; the human stuff that software can't do. But, during the residency I found the digital tools to be just what I needed to express the my response to the whole place; the silence, the shadows, the light, the dark.........it all slotted into place in my PC. I used 3 different digital cameras, of varying resolutions, from 72 dpi up to 300 dpi; each presented a subtle viewpoint, revealing surprisingly varied results.
Here are a few to give a flavour of what I mean.


I put a link on my Facebook page if anyone would like a preview of the book.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing, moving and quite eerie images, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very special week, full of silent surprises in the shadows, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete

If you feel this resonates with your own experience in some way then feel free to comment.